Spring is in the air here in Safford and that means vacation plans are in your near future. While you’re figuring out what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what stays behind, your home. The B&D Air Conditioning team has some tips that will work to keep your home protected and help save some money on your utility bills while you go on a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are an inexpensive way to make your home look as though someone is home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a good idea to program your lights to coincide with your typical schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a trusted friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater relief than a text while you’re away letting you know that everything at home is as it should be.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to say not to share photos of your amazing vacation on social media, but try to hold off until after you make it home to post information about your trip. Family and friends most likely already know you’re leaving so no sense letting potential criminals know your intentions. Everyone will be just as excited about the fantastic things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it as simple as ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical appliance is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. An easy way to save some energy while you’re away is to unplug a couple of your electronics. Something that you may overlook unplugging is your garage door. It will conserve energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re on vacation there’s no sense keeping your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your comfort level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some painless tips to add to your spring break prep agenda, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about protecting your home this season or want to review additional energy saving tips, give B&D Air Conditioning in Safford a call at 928-432-6018.