The fluctuating weather in Safford can mean a host of things, from the changing seasons to turning off the switch of your air conditioner for the chilly months. Of course, total home comfort is your year-round goal, but sometimes our heating and cooling equipment doesn’t feel like doing that. That doesn’t mean that you’re predestined for AC repair though.
When your air conditioner stops working or you notice it acting strangely, there are a few things you can check on before calling in the pros at B&D Air Conditioning for AC repair. Here are a couple troubleshooting tips to try before giving us a call.
1) Check your thermostat
This is one of the simplest checks that homeowners can do themselves, and may solve the concern more than they’d like to admit. Be sure your thermostat is:
- Set to “cool”
- Programmed to be around room temperature
- Working with a new battery
2) Look at the air conditioner filter
Dirty filters can cause air conditioners to act out of the ordinary, making them shut down without notice and without making a noise. Air conditioner filters have been the cause for a lot of AC repair calls in the past, but there’s no reason to pick up the phone when you can swap it out yourself. Not to mention that a dirty air conditioner filter diminishes your system’s efficiency and harms airflow.
3) Find and inspect your air conditioner’s switches
Nearly all of the time, switches to your air conditioner are found:
- Close to the air conditioner itself and normally look like your regular light switch.
- At your circuit breaker panel. Identify the breaker that controls your air conditioner and figure out if it is in the middle position or the Off position. If it is, cycle the breaker to Off and then switch it back to the On position.
4) Open all of your vents
A routine error among homeowners is to close vents in unoccupied rooms, but this could actually lead to a need for AC repair. Closing these vents can potentially cause your system to be less efficient and stop working because of added airflow pressure.
If you’ve tried these four troubleshooting tips and still aren’t having any luck getting your system back operating, it’s probably time to give us a shout. The experts at B&D Air Conditioning in Safford are here to be sure all of your AC repair needs are met, so give us a call at 928-432-6018 to set up an appointment with us.